Summer has come and with it, those annoying pangs suffered by our teeth when we have too cold drinks. We must be careful with this fact as tooth sensitivity may adversely affect our oral health.
Sensitivity consists of severe and temporary pain caused by the exposure of dentine (internal area of our teeth) to external stimuli such as food or very cold, hot, acid, gaseous or too-sweet drinks. Although it may appear at any time, at this time of year the chances increase by consuming cooler drinks to balance the heat.
Here we present some tips that will help us to be able to enjoy summer with less tooth sensitivity.
- Reduce the amount and frequency of the consumption of sweets.
- Avoid excessively hot or cold food.
- Avoid acidic foods.
- Perform proper oral hygiene and avoid brushing your teeth intensively to avoid damaging the gums.
- Use a brush with soft bristles and rounded tips.
- Use specifically sensitive toothpaste.
- Avoid bad habits like using toothpicks, biting pens or teeth clenching.
Applying these tips and with a little common sense, we will make our teeth suffer much less this summer.